Sunday, April 15, 2012

COTD: 7 of Wands (ten thousand cupcakes)

Wanna fight?

Sure.


I love the 7 of Wands.



If you asked me to bake you ten thousand cupcakes, tonight, in my own kitchen, I would laugh in your face.

The basic physical limits of time and space (how many cupcakes fit in my oven, versus how long they take to bake) preclude me from baking ten thousand cupcakes tonight. Given this fact, I am not going to make you any cupcakes. There is no point. I will not stay up all night in order to produce a sadly insufficient number of cupcakes. I'm not going to drive myself nuts just to fail.

(I will actually refer to pointless and impossible projects this way: "the ten thousand cupcake thing.")

If you wanted three hundred cupcakes baked tonight (and for some reason you're a person whose requests I feel like honoring) I would bust my ass to make those cupcakes. Because it's physically possible. Considering factors like my health or sanity or where the fuck I am going to put three hundred cupcakes - that's a whole different game. My very first question in evaluating a project or idea is can I do this?


Is it possible?

Is there a chance that I will succeed?

On that chance, I will pull out all stops and disregard all possible limits. I will kick ass, take names, fill orders, bake cupcakes. Give me a reason. Give me a reason to fight really hard, to use those resources at the bottom of the barrel, scrape it clean, because I've got to get more anyway and I don't want the old stuff hanging around at the bottom of the container, mixing in and contaminating my new shit.

Give me a reason to give it my all. Tell me it's worth it, and I will fight until nothing is left.

The 7 of Wands wants me to fight. All disclaimers, at first: there might be some drama. This could get sticky. You're going to have to push hard, against someone or something. It might look hopeless.

But, it says, fight. It's worth it this time. You can win.

Sometimes that is all I really need to hear.

No comments:

Post a Comment