Friday, December 30, 2011

2011 In Review: The Fool

I am inspired by The Sassy Sibyl's 22reflect: 2011 prompts, using each of the major arcana as a lens through which to analyze your experiences, progress, etc in 2011.  It's a very cool project.

I initially decided I would work through the questions she provided, but... I am going to use my Thoth cards instead, mostly because I hypothesize that I might get a lot out of sitting and meditating with each card physically in my hands. Or, to up the stakes a bit, actually throw up a circle, trance out, and go visit the folks myself.

Did I mention that I plan to do all of the majors? One each day until I am done?

I might also be effing insane.



Her general suggestion was to let the cards ask the questions, which is exactly what I plan to do. I am just not sure I am capable of listening very well right now unless I pull out all the stops. And I really need do so some redecorating in my brain, and doing this kind of intense visionary work seems like a good way to do it.

Or serious overkill.

Anyway! On to The Fool...

I lit a candle and burned a little of the Vision incense we mixed up at the last dark moon. Breathed my way down into the clearing in the forest that I always use as a basic launch point for any sort of internal work.  It was sunny and bright through the trees. I greeted the large tree in the center who often serves as a guide, washed my hands and face in the stream, and debated where I might find our friend The Fool.  I started off through the trees and walked until I found a road, and then sat down beside it and waited.

I heard him whistling as he approached, and he almost tripped over me because he was looking everywhere but at the road.

He proclaimed that it was a beautiful day, and I agreed.  He asked me where I'd come from, and I couldn't think of a very good answer.  Many places.  He smiled. He asked where I was going, and I could only be honest: I don't know.  His face lit up at this. "Those are the very best kinds of adventures!" He sat down next to me, in the middle of the path, and asked some more questions.  It became less verbal here, more gesturing and image.

He wanted to know where I'd been this year, and I pointed in every direction and indicated some symbolic images to describe some of the places I've been.  In terms of real world travel, there has been a lot in 2011. I am not even sure that I could come up with a complete list, but... there was a road trip in March, another in July, another in August. Colorado in September. New Orleans in October. A few trips to St. Louis, some camping over the summer...

And those are just the trips you can measure in miles.  Maybe I haven't done as much internal work as I'd wanted, but that's not the same as not having done any. I've discovered new places and new guides, and aligned some internal geography that used to not be nearly so clear.

He asked if I'd met any new friends, and it's true that I've met a few. Some of them were quite temporary, but that's not really the point. He asked if I'd learned anything, and I drew a blank.  He said, "That's OK, it's just that they always ask me that. I never know what to say either."

And he stood up again and was on his way before I could thank him, whistling and looking at the sky.

No comments:

Post a Comment