Wednesday, September 13, 2017

When Nothing is True and Nothing is Permitted (or, getting out of a nasty energetic spiral, with Parks and Rec references)

Note: This post is a month old. It's been sitting in my drafts. In the interest of posting anything, ever, I am going for it.

I gave a reading to a friend at the last Full Moon Shenanigans (a name I came up with months ago that has fortunately? unfortunately? stuck). The 10 of Wands*. The 8 of Disks. When you feel blocked, I said, slow down. Don't stop.

Wait, she responds. That's a *thing*?
I could walk instead of run?

I could definitely do with being reminded that this is, indeed, a thing. (Installment #13 million in "Reading for other people is also reading for yourself.") I usually have two speeds - frantic and sleeping.
 
I have hit the bottom of the barrel in terms of emotional resources, magical inspiration, and faith in my own ability to effect change in the world. There are Reasons for this. The Reasons are less important than what I'm doing about it.
I am meditating, terribly. I am coming back to the altar, when coming back to the altar feels... empty. I am journaling when my thoughts feel small and silly (or worse, small and selfish).
And I am trying to pay attention to my horoscope, even when my initial response to reading or hearing guidance of any kind is "but I can't do that, because..."
So this week, Rob Brezsny says:
"I'm temporarily stepping aside so you can have the freedom to write the exact horoscope you want.... Fate and karma, which frequently impel you to act according to patterns that were set in place long ago, are giving you at least a partial respite. To get the maximum benefit out of "Compose Your Own Oracle," identify three plot developments you'd like to weave into a self-fulfilling prophecy for your immediate future. Then start weaving."
I read a lot of astrology. I don't always get as much out of it as I should. I've fantasized about keeping an integrated journal of astrological influences, divination, journey work, etc. for years, but consistency is not a strength I have.
 
(except consistency)
However, my favorite horoscopes are the ones that give assignments. Give me an assignment, please, someone, for the love of all that is holy.**
So I am following the assignment, trying to brainstorm what I actually want, and this is what I came up with:
1) In a surprise twist, it turns out that I have a superpower-level ability to stand calmly in my truth and speak with compassion.
2) Aforementioned superpower draws people in, instead of alienating them.
3) I emerge from this particular dark and nasty time feeling like I actually have a place in a community, and some ownership over some part of my world.
In the swirling-yet-somehow-still-stagnant morass that is my life/the whole world right now, I feel I've come to understand nothing is true.

The real problem, I realized during last-night's insomnia, is the second part. Everything is permitted. Lately, nothing is permitted. I don't know who's issuing the permits, but I haven't received any.
 
 
 
 Every avenue is blocked. I reach out my hand - to give, to take, to fucking wave hello - and it's slapped back. I am cut off, exiled, relegated, removed.
(There's no way to express this feeling that doesn't sound melodramatic. It's a melodramatic feeling.)
Sigil time?
But certainly everything is permitted doesn't mean everyone will get out of your way. Certainly everything is permitted means something more like fuck them.
My card of the day is the 7 of Wands. I said I was at the bottom of the barrel? I am not sure there are 7 wands left down here. It's more like:
2 coffee + 2 energy drink + High John oil + coyote tooth earrings + saber tooth cat talisman + black eyeliner + the very last of my suspension of disbelief = strength, she asked, hopefully?
Hopefully.
But apparently the most lofty intentions I can think of right now are "I open my mouth and still have a place in this any community," and that doesn't sound very 7 of Wands to me.
So I am stuck with this series of competing influences - up the charisma (Jupiter/Sun/Venus, maybe?), smile at everyone, listen a lot, and surely someday someone will find something useful for me to do, and I'll finally be a real person!***
OR up the authority (Jupiter/Saturn/Mars), make a lot of eye contact, make demands, actually expect to be heard.
And the first option sounds approximately like an amoeba and the second sounds like a raving narcissist.
What's halfway between amoeba and narcissist? That sounds like an opening for a really stupid joke.
I want to wrap this up with a profound insight, but I am not having any profound insights. I guess I'll keep meditating and making offerings and journaling and hope that I catch a break.

 *Initially mistyped as "10 of Wants." Things to meditate on.

 **And also is there a syllabus? Because I'd kill for a syllabus.

***Do I sound depressed? Um, yes. Let's move on to something new or interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment